Sunday, May 16, 2010

MICHELLE OBAMA'S FIGHT AGAINST CHILDHOOD OBESITY

I am sure a lot of you have been following the news regarding the First Lady's campaign to subject our children to BMI measurements from the age of 2 to 18. I, too, am concerned with this issue. However, I do not want the government involved in such a personal issue. Yes, I am for healthier foods in the schools. Who wouldn't be? I know a lot of us are in the 50 something age group or older. Do you remember during President Kennedy's administration the President's Physical Fitness Program? We had to be able to do 50 sit ups in 2 minutes or less, run the 100 yr dash in, I don't remember, maybe under 10 secs? And some other activities which escape me at the moment. When did that stop? I would love to sponsor an initiative in our school district whereby this program was offered once again. I know we will not be able to force it on anyone, it would be completely voluntary. But with parents working and kids sitting at home all day after school, I believe that may be contributing to the increase in the weight of our kids. They have no physical activity at all unless their parents are conscientious enough to enroll their kids to be engaged in after school activities. I dragged my daughter to soccer, softball and eventually volleyball, where she excelled to the point of getting a full ride college scholarship. I was allowed to play outside all day if I wanted to and only had to be home by sundown. I rode my bike everywhere. I HATED gym, as I am sure most of us did, but at least we got to work out and move our bodies. Is anyone in? Let me know. Maybe together we can accomplish this for our kids, or in my case now, my grandkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment